Corner View - Serendipity

>> Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful while not specifically searching for it. (wikipedia) 
Here we are exercising our love for travel by hanging off the boat to see glaciers in Patagonia.  (Don't worry, no ginger haired guys were hurt while taking this photo).
I'll start out by saying that I COMPLETELY DO NOT BELIEVE IN SERENDIPITY.

I believe that 'happy accidents' happen when you're moving towards something, working on a goal, and pushing along in a certain direction... then... seemingly by accident, but ONLY seemingly, little things happen to propel you forward.  Serendipity? Luck? No way, it's just what happens when you work hard for something and keep your eyes open. 

So did I meet Vito by "accident"?  Some may see it that way.  Though if you peel just one tiny layer you'll see the intricate web of activities that pushed us together.  But that's a story for another day!  

Today is Serendipity, so to answer the question of how I met Vito, I will simply say: Sure ok, he dropped out of the sky into my lap!  No literally, he flew over from the Netherlands to NY to take me out to dinner. :) 

We both worked for the same client just in different departments.  I in NYC and he in Amsterdam.  After a few months of working via email, and a few phone calls that made me conclude he was rude, and him that I was a man (?!???)  we somehow got past it and figured out that we had lots in common, especially love of travel, that we were same age, and so on and so forth.  Then Vito flew over to hang out with me for a long weekend!  It was Easter weekend and precisely a year later on the following Easter weekend I moved to the Netherlands.

Tada!  (Serendipity is such a romantic concept... let's believe in it for just one day)  We can go back to our militant, systematic selves tomorrow!  (Me? militant and systematic?? Yes! Because it's so action oriented, I find being "serendipitous" too passive for my taste.) 

Lesson kids: Look up!  Good things DO drop from the sky accidentally or on purpose.

Play with us next week!!!
Corner view theme by  Kari
Hosted by Francesca
Invented by Jane

20 comments:

Le monde dÖ December 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM  

I like the way you see this word :)

Unknown December 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM  

Love your serendipity moment!
I am romantic I must confess ;)

Kari December 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM  

i don't believe in luck much and i totally agree that happy accidents do happen when you're moving towards something, someone.
but I've had my share of serendipitous moments that I've got no other way to explain than just luck or Someone is watching over me!
love your serendipitous moment.

p.s as for the tea - they called it a Moroccan tea and it was delicious.
can't confirm for sure what was in it though.

Kristin December 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM  

Patagonia? That must be wonderful. My last visit was many years ago.

Francesca December 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM  

what a fun, fun photo! I'd have moved to the Netherlands too (cold! dark!) if someone had flown across the world to take me out for dinner (though, really, I believe he should have moved to NYC).

Cole December 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM  

Hmmm... I totally believe you can more towards something and or make something happen. I hadn't thought about that excluding happy accidents though! I'll have to consider that for my serendipitous post! I found the word lovely in terms of what I get in photography right now- and it sounds much better than dumb luck! :)

J {*sparklingly} December 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM  

Since I have a verrrry similar situation with how I met my spouse, I can relate. Still not sure if I believe in serendipity/destiny/happy accident/answer to prayers etc, but I like the idea of moving in the direction you want your life to go and being open and ready for any opportunities that come your way :).

For me, I was all set to spend the summer in Spain, but at the last minute changed to Italy, and only made one stop in Sicily, and that was because I remembered a photo of my brother's of a beautiful town (which he only went because a new friend in Rome had the same last name as the town where R is from). So quite a twisted road to get there...and what if my guidebook hadn't suggested the hotel I stayed in (which was DIRECTLY across the street from R's store?).

Even crazier, he was only in town at the time because of a family emergency (he had already moved full time to Sweden).

All so crazy. Life could have totally been different if any one of those small things had changed.

I remember reading about "Vito"/"Nico" back in the day when it all started. Awww.

PS. That is a GREAT photo ;)

alexis December 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM  

I totally agree with your interpretation! But the universe is big - sometimes you do get lucky out of the blue. Just not usually.

Theresa December 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM  

I'll keep my eyes open. :)

Bonnie December 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM  

wonderful! i am enjoying reading the love stories the corner viewers are sharing this week!!

Heather December 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM  

Fun post! I think it's funny that he thought were you were a man. (Does Vito have an uncle who could drop out of the sky in the Orlando area??)

Stephanie @ Henry Happened December 6, 2012 at 4:03 AM  

What a fun story - I'm loving that he first thought you were a guy! I do think if you start looking for those "happy accidents" you start to notice more of them!

nadine paduart December 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM  

hee hee...
smart photo too, to illustrate your falling-from-the-sky moment... ;)))
n♥

Tzivia December 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM  

Okay, you've convinced me! I'll look up and out for a beautiful serendipity to fall into my life! <3

shayndel December 7, 2012 at 5:33 AM  

So fun to find your love story here, I sense that sharing the stories of serendipity (even if you don`t see it as such!) is good for the world, and to see such joy on your faces can lead to more serendipitous stumbling, if that makes sense!!
xo♡

shayndel December 7, 2012 at 5:34 AM  

PS nice moment of serendipity to find that the person here before me in the comments line is my sister!♡

Alla December 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM  

:) - thanks!

ibb - and thank goodness for that! this world needs more romantics!

Kari - i definitely believe that Someone is watching, sometimes me and that Someone don't agree though... but that's ok :)

Kristin - saw the photos amazing!!!

Francesa - nyc is pure evil... of course i didn't tell Vito that, i just said that for him I'll go anywhere - ;)

Cole - i agree, nature is the only place that makes me believe in serendipity

J - your story IS really crazy, but still i would not call it serendipity, i mean, you WENT to italy ALL by yourself! if you just sat home wishing for a tall dark and handsome prince to come to you.... maybe you'd still be wishing...

alexis - see, that's what i dont believe, i believe you only get lucky if you're moving towards something. then you do get lucky. but i guess the point is there are these moments of luck/serendipity, it's just how we interpret them is different. you're kinda romantic! look at you!

Theresa - yey!

Bonnie - true! me too

Heather - vito's uncles are very ooooooooooooooold....

Stephanie - yes totally agree!

Katie - thanks... :)

woolfy - hehe

Tzivia - good! come back and report good things

jgy - ha! crazy isn't it! :) :)

boy.... i think i need better comments system hope i didnt miss anyone

neena maiya (guyana gyal) December 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM  

What a super-happy photo.

Romance, romance, how I love romance!

I agree with you about moving towards something, working on a goal, and pushing along in a certain direction...then, it happens...if it's meant to.

cadiz12 January 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM  

i love your expression in that photo! haven't seen that look in a long time!

he thought you were a man!?!?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A blog about finding something beautiful in everyday. Lots of time we forget to do that.



More about me.

Hi!

Hi!
Follow on Bloglovin

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP