>> Friday, October 12, 2012
Party Planning for 8
#Menus #Calm #Greece-Turkey
Tomorrow is the dinner and I haven't exactly started preparing anything except getting some of the groceries last evening. But I'm very calm. The more the situation calls for stress the calmer I get. I like that about myself. It scares the kaka out of those around me. (I can say kaka, I'm a mom, it's normal.) Oh, and good thing I asked if any of the guests had any allergies or food aversions etc... and turns out there will be a VEGETARIAN among us. She seemed very nonchalant about it saying I didn't have to worry as she'll b fine eating just the sides. It's clearly her first time to my house. In my house all dishes served contain "man-gredient", or meat. (Yes, men can also be vegetarian I'm just grossly stereotyping).
The theme will be "somewhere in between Greece and Turkey..."
We're starting at 6.30 pm with cocktails. To ensure dining success I like to immediately get the guests to an advanced stage of inebriation.
• Welcome Cocktail - Kir Royale
• Cocktail 2 - Tequila...with something
• 32 bites (4 per person)- I was going to make sushi, then... I got real and decided to buy some instead.
• 8 sushi bites
• 8 pempernikle triangles with smoked salmon and sour cream
• 8 cucumber somethings....
• 8 something else....
Dishes to have on the table before the starters come out. The starter's starter?
• Beetroot Hummus (Thanks for the inspiration Tiny Woolf!)
• Chickpea Hummus
• Pita Triangles (to go with all the Hummus overload)
• Black and Green Olives
• Bread aioli and herb butter
• Peppers stuffed with wild rice, sausage and apples
• Lamb something... (I have not decided yet)
• Little Gem, garlic olives and feta salad
• String bean salad
• Cheesecake with Fresh Strawberries
• Grapes platter (you know for after dinner when we're reclining on our right side.)
Well, anyway, the picture is slightly less fuzzy... I'm very calm. ;)
And now JUST at this moment it struck me to consult people that know what they're talking about....
A quick search yielded the following advice from Michelle @Browneyedbaker:
What she suggest and what I actually did...
2 } I always like to include a salad with a dinner- check!! Little Gem salad
3 } Then add a vegetable- String bean salad, yey, so far so good
4 } Depending on how many people you have, you may want another vegetable side dish- Caprese salad
5 } Starchy side - Wild rice
6 } Bread or rolls with butter - bread with aioli and herb butter7 } Now choose your appetizers. For appetizers, the general rule of thumb is 5 servings per person per hour prior to serving a meal. - good deal! I got 4 bites per person plus humus "fun" plates