To read or not to read...

>> Tuesday, January 30, 2007


I haven't done my immature book reviews in a while. Here are a few fun ones.
Air Babylon was really a ton of fun. I absolutely recommend this book ESPECIALLY for reading while on a plane. I got it for my flight back from Nicoland. On the way there I make myself get beauty sleep so I can walk off the plane looking like I'm descending from a quicky flight from St. Tropes (while the rest of the passengers totally hate me.)




Speaking of St. Tropez... check out the absolutely wonderful eye mask from St. Tropez Essentials incidentally :) I kinda let it fall out of my suitcase when I go to visit Nico, just you know, a subtle mental message...




Anyway, back to the book! Its hard for me to sleep on the way back this way because its usually a day flight, so I decided to make sure I have something entertaining to read. And this book does the trick. Its a fictional story of a day in life of airline manager at an airport, based on interviews of various airline employees (who obviously remain anonymous). It's funny and has everything, drugs, sex, deaths, and even romance... awww. Cute read.


The Witch of Cologne - I absolutely love novels that take place in a certain historical time. This one takes place in Belgium and Netherlands around mid 1600. I found it very interesting. Detailed description of the time and everyday life at that time. About a kibbalah, jews, formation of the free republic in Amsterdam, the inquisition, corrupt catholic priests and vengeful... well, everyone was vengeful in this book. And yes there is love as well! Ahhh.... (Another wonderful book taking place the same time, same place is The Coffee Trader, about the early days of the "stock market" and coffee in Europe.)


Interesting read.



My 'Dam Life by Sean Condon was absolutely hilarious! A bit too much on the self depreciating side... but still funny. About an Australian couple that move to Amsterdam and go through all kinds of trials and tribulations of getting work/live/apartment permits you can imagine. And at the very end when they FINALLY seem to have straightened out everything another misfortune happens and they're back to square one. And the book ends... I searched Sean Condon's website for some clues as to weather they have gone back to Australia or managed to stay in Amsterdam but find no clues there!!! I just HAVE to know!!!! Thou I imagine they left, I mean half way through the book I myself was ready to give up (if I was in their place, NOT reading the book) Funny read! Super super funny!





And just for the girls, Shopaholic and Sister. SO SO adorable! Another Sophie Kinsella book that will surely satisfy your need for sugar! (And less calories, actually reading BURNS calories, I'm sure like 1 in an hour but still.) I've read all her books and everysingle one is cute and sweet and just makes you feel nice and cheerful! Absolutely nothing wrong with that, we can't be reading depressing crap like Crime and Punishment ALL the time that would be crime and punishment literally! (aa..ha..ha... I'm so funny.)


Anyway, loved it, though I read it in ONE day, 'twas a rainy and cold saturday. AND hurray! Her latest book Shopaholic and Baby is coming out next month!

Well have fun ya'll!
(I so wish I could have Southern accent if I wanted!)


6 comments:

cadiz12 January 30, 2007 at 3:33 AM  

i think you're a "shopaholic"-aholic!

Un-Swiss Miss January 30, 2007 at 7:37 AM  

Great timing! I'm looking for books for the plane, and Air Babylon looks perfect. (The last one I read along these lines was e. - Matt Beaumont - it's hysterical!) Will also look for Witch of Cologne.

ale January 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM  

cadiz you got it! i'm totally addicted!

swiss miss- yes def! you'll totally have fun on the plane with air babylon!

jiji January 31, 2007 at 4:53 AM  

speaking of historical pieces, my roomie has been raving about the book "the other boleyn girl". very romantic and sensual she says. not bad for cuddling with on these cold winter nights.

Alessandra,  January 31, 2007 at 11:20 PM  

i was wondering abt those series... i think i'll grab it

Caribbean Colors February 4, 2007 at 12:21 AM  

Love your real world view reviews. Mine usually start with... It sucked, and go down from there.
I've been having a real hard time getting quality reading material lately. Its frustrating. A fried sends me her New Yorkers about every 2 months, so that helps for about a week.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A blog about finding something beautiful in everyday. Lots of time we forget to do that.



More about me.

Hi!

Hi!
Follow on Bloglovin

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP