There are free drinks at Gallery openings!

>> Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I'm not big on cultural, educational stuff. I drink before going to a museum... (and during). I think its because I've gotten too much culture and museums when I was little when my parents took me out everysingle weekend to some kind of exposition. And I used to LOVE IT! I would read the inscription underneath every single rock, half-rock and rusty nail! And now days, I cross the street when I see a museum. I don't know why, but I think it just plays into my theory that people get dumber as they grow up. I think I've mentioned it before, but can't help to say again, in my almost year of residing in Italy, I successfully did NOT go to any museums, nor did I make time for the Sistine chapel in the 50+ odd times I've been to Rome. I know, DISGRACEFUL! Kids, don't be like me in this case.

Anyway, I took pains to go do something cultural last week and Dulce and Wallstr and I made it to a gallery to see some photography.












This was my absolute favorite. I could just stare at it for hours. The other photographs in the series are majestic as well. I went to the original gallery website www.galerie-poller.com that shows all of them. I was not impressed with the space that was dedicated for it in NYC. Such gorgeous work should not be displayed in tiny maze like corridors with poor lighting. Obviously just my feeble unprofessional opinion.

Here is the back story (full story on the website)...

"The viewer is surrounded by photographs of pine trees found at an ancient grave site near Kyong-Ju (Kyung-Ju, Gyeongju) taken from the central vantage point at which the viewer stands.

Kyong-Ju is located in the southeastern part of Korea about 60 km north of Pusan. It was the old capital city of the Shilla dynasty during more than 1,000 years from BC 57 to AD 992. A lot of historic monuments, especially numerous Siberian styled tombs, are scattered throughout the city.

The achievements of the Shilla people and their devotion to Buddha are evident in the stone images carved on cliff walls and the other stone monuments found throughout the area. It was appointed by UNESCO in 1995 as one of the world historic cultural heritage places. Currently, the population of Kyong-Ju is around 150,000, but in ancient times after Shilla dynasty unified Korea in AD 668, the population was estimated about 800,000, which was one of the most thriving cities of the world. Around that time, the city was the door of Korea to the world."

Yeah, that's why cultural/educational experiences are so depressing, like opening a can of worms. You can't just learn about ONE thing, all these OTHER things you should know about come up!!! Mommy, why didn't you ever tell me about the Shilla dynasty?! (When in doubt always blame the parents).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A blog about finding something beautiful in everyday. Lots of time we forget to do that.



More about me.

Hi!

Hi!
Follow on Bloglovin

BlogCatalog

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP